Those who know me know that I enjoy baking cakes, cupcakes, and cookies! Every so often it’ refreshing to make a dessert that doesn’t require any baking. What I love about key lime tarts and pies is the sour, tangy flavour from the limes. I love all things sour! Sweet and sour, it’s kind of my thing. Did I mention this recipe is on the healthy side? The smooth, green filling is from the avocados! If you’ve made my Baked Parmesan Avocado Fries, you’d know that I don’t like the taste of avocado so I try different ways to use them.
These treats are definitely refreshing for the summer and tastes best chilled. I’ve modified a few recipes online, The Blender Girl, and Run Hard Eat Clean. I also came across Dairy Free Betty‘s recipe. I love how Betty puts hers in a mason jar! What a perfect to-go treat. Let’s get on with the recipe!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- pinch of salt
- 3 medium avocados
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave nectar or maple syrup)
- To make the crust, process all the ingredients together until well combined. Line the tins with cupcake liners and then scoop out a small amount of crust to line the bottom of each well. Press the crust firmly to keep the crust from breaking apart. Chill the crusts in the fridge and work on the filling.
- Alternatively, add crust to a mason jar and scoop the filling on top for a to-go treat.
- To make the filling, process all the ingredients together until smooth. Taste and add more lime juice or honey if needed.
- Spoon or pipe the filling into the crusts.
- Refrigerate pies until ready to eat. They can also be frozen for a cool, summer treat.
- Use a 1M piping tip for a rosette tart. Spoon a small amount of filling to the centers of the tins and then add a piping tip to a piping bag filled with some of the filling. Start piping from the center outward, swirling until you've reached the edge.
- Decorate with small wedges of limes, fruits, or toasted coconut shredding.
These tarts are decadent, creamy and filling! Although they’re cute and small, there’s a lot of healthy substance in one little pie that’ll keep you full of energy.
If you’ve ever made tarts with avocados, let me know how you liked them!