It’s that amazing time of year again… SUMMER!! Happy summer, friends! I’ve missed you just as much as I’ve missed the hot rays on my skin. Minus the humidity. We don’t like you. I have a handful of travel favourites to share today! It’s a monthly favourites /slash/ travel essentials /slash/ ‘go buy it now’, kind of post (gotta love the variety). If you’re interested in other travel favourites, a travel guide, or vacation blog post, let me know in the comments!! Some of my links are affiliate.
I’m writing this post because I’ve just come back from a mini Seattle vay-cay visiting one of my besties *waves to Robyn*. I’ve packed items that are relatively new and some all-year-round favs as well. This is a ‘traveling by airplane edition’. I’ll also mention a few items I didn’t snap photos of, but I still couldn’t travel without 🙂
- Luggage. A no brainer, right? Whether I’m flying or just having a weekend trip, it is 100x easier to pack in a carry-on luggage. It seems a bit extra for an overnight getaway but I’m telling ya, it frees up your hands for other bags and cups (I’m looking at all you Starbucks fanatics). I’ve upgraded to a Samsonite this year. I couldn’t find the exact model, but the ones with the four wheely glides like butta.
- Sunnies. Another travel favourite/must have are some trendy sunnies! The two I packed are these QUAY beauties and a black cat eye staple for the summer. I finally hopped on the band wagon and ordered a pair to try (and they come in tons of colours! Eeek). They’ve got that cat eye shape (which I love) but with flat, rose gold, mirrored lenses. I’m finding a lot of QUAY sunglasses are a little too over-sized for my liking. I’m loving these shades because they’re a statement piece without taking over my entire head! You’ll see my recent Instagram posts with these new travel favourites!
- Comfy Runners. When I’m traveling by plane, I choose runners that can slip on and off (ugh, those security checks), and allow me to wear thick socks on the cold ride. I usually wear Nike Frees, they’ve always been my go-to runners. I thought I’d give these Nike Roshe One a try and I’ve been wearing them all month to work, run errands, and to exercise! I was a bit skeptic about the rather flimsy toe area. When you wiggle your toes, you can see them! I’ve realized that all my other running shoes were so much more restricting. My feet are actually more comfortable with the extra space, and the breathable fabric is a bonus. Loving them and all the awesome colours they come in!!
Backpack. This bag has come along for the ride to many places. It’s soft, comfy and spacious. The best part is that it is adjustable and converts from a backpack to a tote bag! You should know by now I’m all about the “hands-free” lifestyle. I found this KGB STUDIO gem from Marshalls a few years ago, drawn in by the beautiful cognac colour, the size (not too big, not too small), and all the zippered (must-have for travel) pockets. I’ve taken this bag to the beach, excursions, cruises, and shopping! A similar convertible style in the same brand is here!
- Lippies. Traveling on a plane means everything on my body gets insanely dry, dry, dry! I’ve found that I am allergic to some lip products over the years and I have a hard time keeping them supple and hydrated. My current favourite comes in a box of 6! It’s a beeswax infused with jojoba oil that claims to be naturally moisturizing. The pack was so inexpensive, and since I was desperate to find a lip balm that’ll work, I thought I’d give this one a go. My favourite flavour so far is the Grapefruit Tropic and they seem to be doing well for me so far this summer!
- Camera. Everybody has their own favourite travel camera. If you’re looking for one, try the Sony Alpha a5000 mirrorless digital camera. It’s compact and easy to shoot. The screen flips forward to allow for expert selfie pics (you know you love it). It takes great pics and you might be able to find it currently on sale or clearance like I did! Another camera that usually comes along for the trips is a Go Pro! If you’re active, do water activities, or like very compact items, this one is the way to go.
- A few others worth mentioning: Sleep mask, hat, headphones and inflatable neck pillow. I clumped these remaining items under one category because they are crucial for getting a little bit of sleep on the plane ride. A friend of mine suggested an inflatable pillow, a sleeping mask and a seat by the window being your best chance at getting some shut eye. I took her advice, coupled it with my over-ear, padded Sennheiser HD 598 Cs headphones and a hat to keep my head warm for the ultimate ‘leave me alone” experience (I may or may not get cranky when I don’t get enough sleep). I had more luck with the rest on my way home from my vacation and I definitely felt comfortable with all my gear 🙂
Share your travel favs! I’m on a mission to finding the best items for traveling!